Do you own an air-fryer? If not, you should seriously consider getting one! There are many upsides to having an air-fryer in your kitchen, but my favourite is this: NO MORE SPLATTERING OIL EVERYWHERE!
That’s right! Whether you’re ‘frying’ fries, nuggets, fish, meat or whatever that you’d like to cook, you can say goodbye to two things:
1) Wastage of cooking oil. With the air-fryer, you only need minimal oil to lightly coat your ingredients.
2) DID I MENTION NO MORE SPLATTERING OF OIL IN YOUR KITCHEN?
One of the first things I tried with my Phillips AirFryer is frying ‘ikan bilis’ (anchovies). Those little delicious morsels that we add on to fried rice, nasi lemak, soup noodles… everything! Normally I hate to deep-fry anything, because see above (1) and (2).
Here’s how you can get crispy ikan bilis using the air fryer in less than 30 minutes!
1) Have anchovies. If you’re eating them and not making stock out of ’em, get the better grade, cleaned ones. Unless you have plenty of time to remove the head and insides of the fish.
2) Wash ikan bilis, twice. For the super kitchen noobs (like how I used to be), this means: in a bowl of water, put in the ikan bilis. Wash it around a bit. Pour out dirty water, refresh with new clean water. Wash the ikan bilis a second time.
3) Remove the ikan bilis, spread out on paper towels to dry. Either leave it there for it to dry naturally, or use more paper towels to hasten the drying process. Slightly damp is acceptable. But no dry, no crispy.
4) Use a wee bit of cooking oil, just enough to coat the ikan bilis on the surface.
5) Pre-heat the air-fryer for 3mins at 200°C. Then dump the ikan bilis into the air-fryer net.
6) Cook for 10 minutes. Somewhere at the 7min mark, take out the net and give it a quick good stir, then put it back in to cook.
7) Congratulations, you now have crispy air-fried ikan bilis! Consume immediately nom nom nom nom nom nom… or store in an air-tight container for up to 2 months.
Actually I’m not VERY sure how long it keeps for; I kept mine for 3 months, then took it out and ate a few, still crispy and I’m still alive. So there.