This is an advertorial, I bought my sardines and had fun cooking and eating them
How many of you are familiar with sardines? Hah I know most of you would, from being younger with limited funds (read: college days) and canned sardines in tomato sauce are your affordable go-to for a hearty, satisfying meal. Open a can up, maybe spice it up a little with onions and chili served with a bowl of hot steaming white rice… hard to say no to that!
Well your favourite canned sardines brand is stepping it up with new inviting flavours of Ayam Brand™ Ready-To-Eat Sardines! You have it in extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin olive oil + chili, chili oil and now two new flavours to tantalise your taste buds: in teriyaki sauce and in spring water!
Why are sardines good for you? Let’s see…
1) Nutritious! A single serving is a great source of protein and is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, iron and potassium with only 200 calories!
2) Versatile! Trawl the web and you’d fine 1001 ways to prepare sardines. Eat it straight from the can, add it as your side dish or feature it as a main dish, you can’t go wrong with sardines!
3) Portable! Gone fishing? Pack some canned sardines as back-up in case you’re… uh, not so well versed with the game They are light, handy and Ayam Brand™ Ready-To-Eat Sardines, you don’t have to cook them; just flick it open, no need for can openers!
4) Sustainable & Safe! Sardines are way low on the food chain level, aren’t overfished and thus have plenty of chances to reproduce. And Ayam Brand™ Ready-To-Eat Sardines have no added MSG nor preservatives as the cans are tightly vacuumed and go through a controlled heating process. This kills the bacteria and preserves the food, thus no need for preservatives!
I had fun creating two sardine dishes over the weekend. One’s a sardine sandwich spread; a most familiar taste so I added twists in it. The other’s an experiment that turned out pretty good, just ask Joyce!
Suanie’s Super Easy Awesome Sardine Spread
Serves: How many people it takes to consume 12 pieces of sliced bread
– Ayam Brand™ Ready-To-Eat Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– Ayam Brand™ Ready-To-Eat Sardines Extra Virgin Olive Oil + Chili Oil
– ½ onion, chopped
– Roasted red bell pepper, sliced
– Handful of parsley and cilantro
– 3 tbsp lemon juice
– Oil from canned sardines with the chili oil
– Salt to taste
Open up canned sardines. Depends on how you like it, remove the bones from flesh… or not. The bones are soft, edible and full of calcium but personally I prefer all meat. If you don’t know how to easily roast a bell pepper, you’re lucky that I did and blogged about it before
Toss everything into a food processor (preferred) or blender, mash to oblivion!
Check out the lovely colours! The flavours came together beautifully too: sweet (from roasted bell pepper), sour (lemon) and slightly spicy (chili oil). If you’d keep it in the fridge for a few hours, it’d be even more delicious!
Toast some bread, slap on butter (because life isn’t worth living without butter) and spread the sardine goodness! I really couldn’t get enough of it, think I’ll make it again this weekend! Might need to borrow a food processor though, using the blender wasn’t really great
Suanie’s Experimental Pasta with Sardines in Teriyaki Sauce
– Ayam Brand™ Ready-To-Eat Sardines in Teriyaki Sauce
– Pasta for 2, cook according to instructions on packet
– 1 carrot, julienned
– 1 red bell pepper, julienned
– 4 – 5 button mushrooms, sliced
– 4 – 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
– ½ onion
– 3 cloves garlic, chopped
– 3 tbsp lemon juice
– Seasoned salt (optional: mine was lemon and pepper)
– 2 tsp sugar
– Salt + black pepper to taste
– Cooking oil
Cook pasta according to instructions on packet. Heat up cooking oil , cook carrots until soften about 4 mins. Throw in garlic + onion + bell pepper, cook for about 3 mins. Throw in button mushrooms + tomatoes, cook for 2 mins. Add lemon juice + seasoned salt + sugar + salt + black pepper, stir stir stir.
Add sardines including the teriyaki sauce it comes with. Break it up a little. Stir stir stir. Then add the cooked pasta!
Stir stir stir for a couple minutes then dinner is ready!
Serve with great gusto and wild rocket. If you don’t have wild rocket, BUY! The slight hint of crisp bitterness adds volumes to this slightly sweet dish.
Almost culinary genius, me Now go make your own!