27 not because of that sorry POS Katherine Heigl calls a movie, but because I turn 27 this year. Also because I didn’t win tickets to SingFest to see Jason Mraz backstage, and I’m too
cheap broke to buy my own equals to needing constant reminders that it’s not the end of the world.
So in no particular order, here’s my list of 27 things that make me smile inside and out:
1. The way my dad clears his throat before he deigns to speak. Some of you have met my dad. You’d know that he doesn’t talk a lot. These days it’s a lot better. A couple of years ago, my sisters would text me lines of, “Dad and I talked for 10 minutes, history has been made!!!” Something like that. You’d be lucky to stay on the phone for more than one minute with him.
2. The way my mom smiles to herself, look up at me and goes, “I tell you a joke ar…” Then she proceeds to go on about something she’d read in the newspapers, magazine or forwarded e-mail. Doesn’t matter whether the joke’s funny or lame; we’d laugh ourselves silly afterward followed by a “WHY SO STUPID ONE HAHAHAHHAHAHA!”
3. Brother-in-law went to Seattle and bought me a Starbucks mug from Pike Place. I was very touched.
4. Friends and acquaintances suggest venues to meet and the first thing they’d come up with is the Starbucks at Centrepoint. No prompting from me, mind you.
5. Looking up from my computer screen to see my pin board where I stuck the only Chinese New Year greeting card I received this year, sent by Xes. Doesn’t matter that he didn’t have to buy the card or stamp, but he took the trouble to write my name along with a greeting and signed it off. I think I’ll keep it there till the next Chinese New Year. This is not a shameless plea for you to send me cards.
6. The Malaysian Insider’s news article humorously titled, ‘Stop the probe, Anwar tells police’. Yes yes, serious cases and alleged injustice and all, but your sub-editor deserves a raise.
7. The kakak at my usual lunch hangout asks, “Biasa?” and I nod and she screams off, “Nescafe ais kurang kurang manis!!”.
8. The memory of Doraemon eat shit and die story as told by G. It has been… I don’t know, at least 5 years?! It still cracks me up whenever I think of it.
“What do you want for your birthday?” they asked.
“Nothing”, I replied.
“Huh, nothing? Why?!”
“I am old already mah.”
“Oh. So what do you want for your birthday?”
10. Su Ann going, “I give you Reese’s peanut butter cup! I give you Oreo! I give you cookie!” I find it very amusing.
11. When I take a midnight stroll in the garden and the air is cool, the stars aplenty and the moon big and bright. I’d think of Chang-Er, the woodsman and the rabbit. It’s hard to remember that it’s all rocks and craters when it’s so beautiful from here.
12. Looking at Ryan’s photos when he was younger and remembering when, why and how they were taken.
13. Ryan earnestly announcing that he would protect me from naughty monsters.
14. Every time I have to adjust my car seat after my sister drove my car. Heheh.
15. Janice calling me, “SUUUUU AAAAAAAA NEEEEEEEEEEEEEE” on an exaggerated note, with feeling. By the way, she was the one who nicknamed me ‘Suanie’.
16. Computer-generated e-mail from CD Baby titled, “CD Baby loves Suanie”
17. Computer-generated e-mail from CD Baby with the content:
“Your CD has been gently taken from our CD Baby shelves with sterilized contamination-free gloves and placed onto a satin pillow.
A team of 50 employees inspected your CD and polished it to make sure it was in the best possible condition before mailing.
Our packing specialist from Japan lit a candle and a hush fell over the crowd as he put your CD into the finest gold-lined box that money can buy.
We all had a wonderful celebration afterwards and the whole party marched down the street to the post office where the entire town of Portland waved “Bon Voyage!” to your package, on its way to you, in our private CD Baby jet on this day, Tuesday, July 15th.
I hope you had a wonderful time shopping at CD Baby. We sure did. Your picture is on our wall as “Customer of the Year.” We’re all exhausted but can’t wait for you to come back to CDBABY.COM!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Derek Sivers, president, CD Baby”
18. Seemingly endless fields and sheep and blue sky and tarred road on the way to Hyden. Sometimes I’d think back and bitch about it because it was a long journey to see a big rock. Sometimes I’d think back and smile lots and lots because from another perspective, it was a rather nice long journey, especially when someone else did the driving so you could feast your eyes on everything around you.
19. KY introduced me to Jack as ‘Suan’. Shook hands, said hello and I gave Jack my blog name card. He studied it for a while, then asked, “Oh, Suan with a silent IE?”
20. Driving all the way from Batu Pahat to Kluang with Charmaine to consult a fortune-teller (who supposedly kept imps). Upon returning, broke up with then-boyfriend because fortune-teller said the relationship would not go anywhere. The look on his face when he found out the reason… bwahahaha!
21. My 21st birthday celebrated at Beach Club. Lots of cheap whisky and assorted booze and friends from hometown. Started drinking at 9 p.m., ended at 12 a.m. only because I was too pissed to continue. Lost my Samsung mobile phone, lost consciousness for about 5 minutes, lost my shoes and all dignity as I trampled barefooted along Jalan P. Ramlee to the car, held up by a couple of friends. Next day woke up with the biggest bump on my head. Apparently I’d bumped myself (and my head) all over the walls en route to the Beach Club’s loo.
22. As a kid, I was told that my birthday falls on the 22nd. I’d consult those calendars you pin on a wall waiting for the 22nd of every month, and was sorely disappointed when my late grandmother did not prepare my (monthly) birthday feast 🙁
25. Spontaneous trip to Singapore where I first met AND bunked with Pinky. Waited at the bus station for Pinky to get me. After a long while, I decided to call her. Did not have international roaming at that time. I approached 2 Japanese men and asked them if they had Singapore coins for me to make a phone call. One of them led me to the nearest Coke machine, and to my horror dumped shit loads of coins in it. Coke came out, he handed it to me with a nod. I was stunned, could barely mutter thanks. Then decided to approach them again, made wild gestures of coins and phone call. He gave me some coins. I reached into my pocket to hand them a dollar note but they’d ran off. Like, RAN.
26. Awesome colleagues who photoshop and simpsonise fellow colleagues, tell bad jokes, make terrible puns and pick up tunes from where you left off.
27. The seductive smell of Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent on a man. So dangerously intoxicating 🙂